Quilting Nona

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Back Again

There hasn't been much quilting going on here the last nine months. . . but lots of good things have kept me distracted from  my sewing room: 

Probably the biggest 'thing' for me is that we went from a two family household back to  one family.  Son #1 and his family have a cute little house a few blocks away. . . After their move, it seemed like the perfect time to 'spring clean', purge and shuffle furniture around.  At the end of summer our DIL accepted a full time position which meant that Grandma went into full time grandbaby sitting.

Son #2 left for his first deployment to the middle East last summer.  I was amazed at how much time I could spend planning  themed deployment packages.  Decorating those monthly boxes, shopping and mailing them off . . . not to mention emails (sometimes daily) helped to pass the time till his return.

 Before I knew it,  the holidays were here.  We had a bad flu season this year . . . love those preschool germs!  Quarterly visits from Mom and Sis.

Then there is our never ending honey-do/remodel list . . . nothing like having a personal contractor to share coffee with each weekend morning and brainstorm about remodeling ideas.  His ideas are always much greater than mine.  We finally got that new roof put on.  And new trim and gutter covers.  Ya see what I mean?

Next was our daughter & her family's move a few blocks away . . . Now that is Trouble with a capital T.  Playtime with the grandbabies AND shopping at a quilt store all in one stop . . . just around the corner from home.  I'm in heaven.  Check it out at Cora's Quilts.

For the first time in a long long time it's back to just the two of us. How do you adjust to being empty nesters?  New Furniture seemed the perfect way to me. What started as a trip to the furniture store for a TV stand for the guest bedroom Mom sleeps in turned into the mother lode.  Well ok, not exactly the mother lode, a living room full and a media chest and chair for the guest bedroom.  For a while there every week when hubby came home from his business travels there was some new item added to the living room.  It was a fun little game to see how long it took him to notice!  All that's left are the window valances.  I'm itching to get started on those.

Now that winter is over, Son #2 is back from the middle East, and it feels like the dust is beginning to settle,  I just can't wait to get back into my sewing room! I've got several projects lined up that I'll share real soon.

In the mean time here are a few of my favorite pics from the East Coast 'homecoming':

USS Harry S. Truman pulling into the pier at the Norfolk Naval Base
 
Manning the Rails
THERE HE IS!
The Best Part of Being There.
Proud Dad
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment