Quilting Nona

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

April's Schnibble Project

April's AYOS pattern is called Summer Days. 




I seem to be particularly drawn to teal & burgundy fabrics lately.  I was able to find most of these jems in my stash but decided I needed something to make them 'pop out' so I raided my CC's stash and found a gold fabric that had teal & burgundy in its pattern.  Perfect!

I've never attempted flying geese blocks and I made it much harder than I needed to.  Essentially I cut fabric three times before I actually got the right combination.   First I reversed my fabric layout cutting into small squares the fabric I needed for the larger squares.  Next I used the wrong size large squares.  After puzzling over my wacky blocks I finally figured it out.   Guess that comes from working fast and furious late at night at the end of the month. 

Once I corrected all my mistakes, it didn't take long to put these blocks together thanks to a tutorial from Poplun on Flying Geese.

I quilted the top by stitching in the ditch in each of the blocks using my new 'stitch in the ditch' presser foot. (I didn't know such a thing existed until I peeked in the promo sewing bag I got with my new machine!) It made it so easy.  On the sashing I stitched a simple pattern  from a wonderful book:  Quilting Dot to Dot Patterns for Today's Machine Quilter by Cheryle Barnes.

Quilting Dot-To-Dot: Patterns for Today's Machine Quilter

You can check out  the book at  American Quilter's Society or Golden Threads

What would I do differently next time? 
  • Not use a pencil to transfer the quilting pattern to the quilting paper (I know better than that!)
  • Invest in a Quilter's Assistant Proportional Scale and maybe even a flying geese template
  • Not wait until the last week of the month
 Be sure to stop by Pink Pincushion and A Quilting Life to see April's Quilt Parade for AYOS!

1 comment:

  1. Love the way your quilt turned out - love the colors and the quilted border design turned out great.

    ReplyDelete